Thursday, April 2, 2009

Grandma

I can remember one night when I was eight my dad came in to my room to tell me that my Grandfather was quite ill and might not live long. He asked me to pray for his him, which I did and he got better. It seemed like about once a year from that point on my Grandfather would have an ailment and we would pray fervently for him.
About eight years ago, that changed. My Grandmother became ill and we worried for her instead. So many times it seemed like she didn't have much longer left, but amazingly she pulled through. Despite her hardships she was still trying to do her normal activities and would insist on serving you food whenever you came to visit. There were always treats which had been baked and then stored in the freezer for such occasions. It was hard to get her to sit still and rest and you could see the toll having visitors would take on her.
She passed away today and I am sure she is finally resting. And now I find myself again thinking of my Grandfather, but instead of his health I am praying he is comforted.

10 comments:

ali said...

Oh Mel! I'm so sorry :( you look so much like her.

She sounds like the kind of hostess my Grandma is.

Caitlin said...

sorry to hear that melanie. i hope your grandfather and the rest of your family finds comfort, too.

. . . at least we know this isn't the end, right?

Adam and Bri said...

I'm so sorry to hear that! Your family is in my prayers.

And you do look so much like her. I love that.

Diane said...

So sorry Melanie to hear about your grandmother's passing. Thank you for your sweet posting sharing your memories and feelings about them. You are in our prayers...I too, hope your grandfather is comforted. We love you!

Kara said...

Oh wow. I am so sorry.

Pauline said...

Melanie, thanks so much for sharing that memory of grandma always having goodies to share. A week ago Mark and Shantay and I went to visit and we sang a couple of songs for her but she did not feel good. We knew for sure she didn't feel good because she didn't offer us any candy or cookies and didn't jump up to see us off at the door. She never did regain her health. That's a beautiful picture you posted of her. Thank you!

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

Oh my goodness Melanie, another Grandparent passing away so soon?! You are in my thoughts and prayers. I pray for your dear Grandpa too...they look like a darling couple! She sounds alot like my Mom and Art's Mom...never happy until they feed you! Love you tons!

ty and megs said...

so sorry melanie!

Juli said...

Mel, I'm so sorry. Hope you're doing okay....

Erin said...

So sorry to hear about this Melanie. Your family, and particularly your grandpa, is in my prayers.