Tuesday, May 6, 2008

What They Don't Tell You

Now having been pregnant for almost 40 weeks I have discovered a few things about pregnancy--the things they don't tell you about pregnancy before it happens to you. Here are some of the things I have learned:
  • Nose bleeds are common in pregnancy and come without notice
  • Your feet swelling isn't just unattractive-it hurts
  • Your belly button can pop long before the turkey is done
  • There are a million and one wives tales people will use to predict what you are having
  • Seeing spots for an hour is fine as long as your blood pressure is low (despite the fact is causes massive headaches)
  • Being pregnant does not make weight gain any easier
  • False labor doesn't feel so false
  • Everyone has an opinion about how you are carrying-big, small, high, low, etc
  • Your hair and skin might just be better than ever
  • The itchy belly does not cease and there is no satisfying that itch
  • Bending over isn't just hard-it actually hurts
  • Most prenatal doctors appointments are pointless-they are meant really just to waste an hour plus of your time
  • You can crave things you aren't allowed to eat while pregnant (sushi, I miss you!)
  • Aversions are worse than cravings (keep chicken far far away from me)

This is not a complete list by any means, and I realize there are many ailments I have not had to suffer in pregnancy. With a week and a half till I am due I do not have much longer to learn more, so feel free to let me know what things I have missed out on this time, so that I am a little more prepared for next time!


(I think this picture looks like I stuck a ball under my shirt and am sneaking out of the store with it...since my belly dropped I look like I am stealing a ball all the time!)





9 comments:

Juli said...

Tee hee! Melanie, you are the cutest little pregnant lady! =)

I can't wait to read your post-partum list of "what they don't tell you"--it could be a doozy!

Can't wait to meet your little guy!!

Carli said...

Yay...pregnant Mel. I've been dying to see what you look like these days! I hope I'm just as cute when I'm waiting to pop! (I'm not counting on it, but one can hope :-P) We're praying you're little guy will come out soon!

Whitney Bennett said...

MELANIE YOU LOOK SO CUTE PREGNANT! I was so excited to finally see a pregant pic of you. I can hardly wait to see pics of your boy! Congrats!

Angi said...

Don't fret too much. You're body will soon return to almost the way it was before. And you'll be so distracted with your little guy that you'll barely notice the things that will never go back to normal! :) Good luck with the next couple of weeks. You really do look great!

Ashlee Wilson said...

Mel...I feel your pain. :) I totally understand where you are coming from with the feet swelling. Sam & Mom kept telling me I had elephant feet and would yell whale on the beach. Don't worry it will soon be over. A word of advice get an epidural as soon as you want it. It was my best friend! I'm so excited for you. It is such a wonderful feeling to be a mom!!!

Ashlee Wilson said...

Its' all a lie......Dont believe a soul when they say you will go back to normal. Normal is no more, The fun is about to begin!

Love, Dana ....(on ash site)....

ali said...

yes, I have to echo that "normal" is not what you were before you got pregnant, it's what your body settles into afterward. And yeah, that post partum list of things they didn't tell you about should be pretty scary considering they never tell you anything...

but if it makes you feel better, the recovery for the second is WAY easier (I'll have to let you know about the third in a few weeks)

Unknown said...

You are too funny! I love the sitting picture!

One thing I was never told about pregnancy...that you get gassy and can't control it well!!!

Fun, fun! And we often want to do it again! No wonder God lets us get forgetful! he sure has a sense of humor!!! :)

Jaclyn said...

If that is you as a "fat" pregnant lady, well done-- you still looked great. And now, he's here, so you're on your way to life without a basketball stuffed under your shirt. Amazing that we would put balls under our shirts voluntarily as kids to pretend- on what level is that fun?! Love you dearly - hope all is well.