Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Introducing...

Kevin and I welcomed into our family Bennett Paul last Thursday at 7:47pm. He is 21 inches long and weighed 6lbs 7 oz.

We left for the hospital on Wednesday night, fully expecting to return home in an hour with a diagnosis of false labor. (I had had a few rounds of it before but these were stronger and closer together so we thought we would get it checked out). They admitted me with contraction 1.5-3 minutes apart--I didn't realize they were that close!

We spent the night with steady contractions and the next morning my doctor stopped by to visit and asked that they put me on pitocin to speed things along. Despite the close contractions, she thought I would have a long labor--at that point we were already at 12 hours. A few hours late they broke my water and by dinner time that evening Bennett was ready to come. After pushing for an hour and a half Bennett arrived with the cord around his neck, but perked up just fine after it was removed.

He has blond hair and his eye color is still that baby grey, so who knows! So far (knock on wood) he seems like a good baby. He has a hard time eating but everyday is getting better and better. We are really happy to have him home and embark on this adventure.

15 comments:

Angi said...

Congratulations Melanie and Kevin. He is beautiful! I'm glad to hear everything went smoothly. Don't you just love pitocin? ;) I hope you had an epidural to get you through that!

Carli said...

He's absolutely adorable! I wish I could be there. :( All these new babies and all I get to do is see pictures. I guess pictures are better than nothing.

forget laundry said...

so happy for you! he is beautiful mel! you will have to change your blog title... your life will no longer be dull :) love you- good luck! great job!

Kelli and Dana said...

Congrats Mel! He's adorable. I love the family shot because he looks like he's smiling too. You'll be a great mom and Kevin looks like he's settling into dad mode just fine! Congrats again!

Whitney Bennett said...

YAY Mel! He is so adorable. This is so fun to keep seeing pictures of all these babies. I am so glad you have a little boy. And I like that his name is going to be my last name. Cute!

ali said...

what a cute and little guy! I love the pictures, congratulations guys!!

Unknown said...

Congratulations!!! I love your first family picture. You look beautiful! Like it was no problem at all having a baby! He's adorable. I'll get to see him next week at our meeting! Love, love him cause they grow way too fast!.

The Nelsons said...

Hey Melanie, I found your blog from anna's, so I hope you don't mind I'm reading it. what a beautiful little boy! congratulations! did you "love" the pizza dough feeling of your stomach after he was born? :)

Tori Mitchell said...

Mel! I can't believe he is finally here! Congratualtions. He is so handsome. You look great after delivery too. I hope that he is sleeping and eating well for ya. Call me when you can. I am afraid to call and wake the baby.

The Nelsen Family: said...

Hey, I just saw the link to your blog on Facebook (I was checking to see if you had had your baby yet!). Congratulations, he's adorable!!!

Pauline said...

Congratulations Melanie. He is absolutely beautiful. And you look wonderful. Hope you'll be making a trip to show him off to Grandpa and Grandma Wiser so we can all see him!

Pauline said...

Congratulations Melanie. He is absolutely beautiful. And you look wonderful. Hope you'll be making a trip to show him off to Grandpa and Grandma Wiser so we can all see him! Aunt Pauline

Diane said...

Congratulations Kevin and Melanie! What a darling family you are. I am so happy that he has arrived safe and sound--I will be excited to see him in person this July! Melanie, you may not have felt it while pregnant, but you looked fabulous! What sweet photos to share with everyone! Jim and Kathie must be thrilled--as are we!
Aunti Di

Jaclyn said...

Bennett really is adorable - hope you're doing well and actually getting some sleep!

Amalie said...

just wanted to say one more time...congrats! he is soooo cute