Thursday, December 2, 2010

No Kitchen Recipes

For the past two months I feel like I have been a contestant on a new game show on the Food Network. The premise of this show is 'What can you cook without the use of a stove or oven?' The tools provided to help you complete your tasks are a rice cooker, small toaster oven, microwave and a crock pot. You must complete each meal while a toddler hangs on one leg and a newborn cries to be fed again. 

While I have been managing "the tasks" pretty well thus far, I am starting to run out of ideas. It occurred to me yesterday that my use of the crock pot has been severely neglected. Thus, I am using a lifeline. If you have any wonderful crock pot recipes or a meal that does not involve a stove or oven PLEASE send it my way. We are getting bored with what we have been eating and we still have months to go before our kitchen will be ready!

9 comments:

Drew and Stormi said...

Oh Melanie, I am not jealous of your position! I hope you're staying sane...knowing you, you are and are laughing about it!
Crockpot lasagna is good...I think it's the same recipe as if you would bake it in the oven. Macaroni and cheese in the crockpot and of course any type of raost or beef chuck with yummy veggies.

Drew and Stormi said...

or sticky chicken with rice...1 cup apricot preserves, 1 cup BBQ or french dressing, 1 packet onion soup mix, and 2-3 chicken breasts cut up in chunks.

Amalie said...

I am a huge fan of the crockpot! One recipe I really like is pork butt with italian pasta sauce. I usually throw in some veggies too.
also...I used a hot plate for a while after baby #2 and it wasn't too bad! Walmart sells some pretty affordable ones.
keep your eyes on the prize, you'll have your kitchen before you know it!

Angela said...

I just sent you an email. Your wish is my command. What you need is a barbecue . . . the possibilities are endless, though more challenging with 2 kids. Never mind, stick to the crock pot. Good luck with the renovation! Looks super exciting.

ali said...

I should have you talk to my cousin-- she went an entire year without using her oven.

(by the way, great idea for a food network show, I would totally watch that!)

Juli said...

Hey, do you guys have a wok? Because that sure would be handy, too. Or an electric skillet? Or a griddle?

Shandra said...

I have yet to try this but just throw some chicken in with salsa in the crock pot. And then shred it and eat with tortillas. Sounds yummy and super easy. I hear that the chicken just melts in your mouth. Sprinkle with cheese or something.

We need to have your family over for dinner!! Let's talk.

Anna White said...

justin was just telling me about a blog of a girl who made a different meal in her crockpot everyday for a year...that's a lot of crockpot! I have been meaning to check it out...I will have to ask him what the site is and I"ll email it to ya! smooooooches from cali!

Shelly said...

When I feel like an easy meal, I make a burrito mixture in the crock pot. I throw in dried beans (black, pinto, red) along with chicken, onions and sometimes carrots and potatoes. Then I put in a bunch of water, a can of tomato sauce, and a bunch of my favorite spices (chili powder, onion powder, garlic salt, red pepper). Then I eat it in tortillas with cheese.