Friday, November 13, 2009

Bumps In The Night

Last night at about 9:30 I was getting ready for bed. Kevin was still at work (it has been one of those weeks for him), Bennett had long since been asleep and all was quiet in the house. As I was getting ready for bed I heard a crash from somewhere inside the house. Of course, being home alone late at night, my first thought is that someone is breaking into the house. It was after all almost completely dark in the house and there was no car in the driveway.

I stopped for a minute and waited to see if there were any other noises. After what was probably only a minute Bennett started screaming. Not the "hey I just woke up and I am not too happy about it" type of cry, but rather the "someone is seriously hurting me and I am in major pain" type of cry. This forced the issue of having to actually leave my room to face the almost certain unwanted intruder who was now torturing my child.

I flipped on lights as I went through the house, but when I reached Ben it was just him in his crib and no one standing next to him with a knife. Bennett and I then went from room to room flipping on the lights to check for someone or something that could have made that noise. When we got to the kitchen we found the wreath from above the pantry door on the floor, having exploded into a sawdust mess when it hit the floor.

I guess next time before I assume someone is in the house and going to kill me, I should check for suicidal wreaths. (Similar thing happened two weeks ago during the day-the wreath on our front door tried to plunge to its untimely death, however I was able to piece it back together again). That is definitely the more likely and favorable option.

6 comments:

ali said...

Yikes! The stories I'm hearing about wreaths these days ;)

Juli said...

Is it just me, or have you noticed a bit of unrest in Hallstrom home decor lately? I believe the wreaths and light fixtures may be leading a revolt.

Jill said...

I am surprised that wreath even made it that long....

Erin said...

This story cracks me up...does that make me cold and insensitive? I really am glad there was no intruder in the house.

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

time to redecorate! Glad it was a false alarm!

Shandra and Christian said...

Being home alone at night is the worst! Let me know if you want some company next time Kevin is working late.