Thursday, December 4, 2008

Inevitable Truths of Traveling with a Babe

  1. Never even dare to think that things will go as planned.
  2. Count on having to make at least one cross airport journey with less than an hour layover.
  3. Expect that a poopy diaper will only happen when you have limited time and are running across the airport.
  4. Always try to get an empty seat next to you, even if it means sitting by the bathroom.
  5. You are never allowed to go the bathroom.
  6. Don't expect flight attendants to help you in any way as you juggle the babe and two carry-on's down the narrow aisle as the little Asian man tries to go the wrong way back to his seat.
  7. Crying will happen.
  8. Stop crying quickly--resort to bribery.
  9. Forget about sleeping; it's not going to happen.
  10. Talk to or smile sympathetically to every other mother travelling alone.
  11. Look at mother's travelling with their spouse with total and complete envy.
  12. Don't be offended when the man sitting in front of you goes to the bathroom and never comes back.
  13. Upon arrival at destination, for sanity's sake, quickly hand baby off to anyone willing to take him.
  14. Realize you have learned your lesson and you will never travel alone again.
  15. Understand you will look back at this and forget the pain of the situation and decide to do it again.

10 comments:

Jill said...

Mothers should have badges like cub scouts. Just think of all the badges we could earn! I guess that could apply to any station in life. There could be the 'I just spent 7 days cleaning up vomit and diarrhea' badge. The 'I have been sleepless for 3 months and still rememeber my name badge'. The 'I have kept pants on my children for 24 hours' badge and the 'I flew with children and did not give the anti-children people stinkeye' badge.

D Oesterle said...

I was thinking of you when you were traveling alone with Bennett...I hope all went well...HAPPY HOLIDAYS! Love the post!
-Stormi

Erin said...

Where did you go? I always feel bad for parents on the plane with a crying baby. Glad you made it there (wherever that is) safely.

Rachel said...

I totally agree. When I traveled alone with Dar, it actually went really well. It was the delayed 13 hour return that decided me to never travel alone with him again. I never have. It was hell.

Amalie said...

here's another one: you can never ever have enough baby wipes on hand. I suggest a brand new bag of 80 each way!

Juli said...

You made it!!!!! And I assume Bennett survived as well =).

Aren't you glad you get to stay there for a month? Really, if it were only for a week it just wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Nancy said...

We are so glad you are there! I am jealous that you have made the trip and I still have to go through it!! Oh well, I will let you know how it goes!

Angi said...

All I can say is AMEN to that one. :)

Diane said...

I, like Erin, want to know where you are? Oh, Melanie, I remember the days of traveling by air from Hawaii to the mainland and then on to Canada...with babies and little children--exhausting. I agree with Jill, there should be merit badges given to every mom who is brave enough to take it on!
Happy Holidays to your sweet family!

forget laundry said...

oh mel! the joys. traveling with kids should be against the law. I did a flight with both kids this past summer and- seriously? what was I thinking. glad you survived.