Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Day in Paradise

Election time here has been an interesting thing to me. Before living here I can't remember seeing sign wavers for elections. Here they come out in masses and every busy intersection becomes littered with waiving for their candidate. One friend told me she was so caught in looking at the wavers she ran a light. I can totally understand this, since as you approach these intersections you have the awkward decision of to wave, or not to wave. I admit I feel a certain pressure that I should wave back, even if I don't support the candidate they are rallying for. And then, while you are stopped at the light, there is the awkwardness of having people standing around outside your car as they continue to wave. Despite all the awkwardness I look forward to sign wavers. I think it is so fun to see them out there each day. On election day I finally saw one lone waver for Obama. Can you see her there with her little sign? (McCain is widely unpopular here and I doubt there was anyone waving for him).

And here is a typical corner with sign wavers on every corner. For Aaron, I made sure I got a picture of the Mufi wavers--and if we knew how to get a hold of one of their Mufi shirts we would send you one! And just so you know, their waving was not in vain--he won!
And the best part about it all--the day after the election their followers come out and wave (win or lose) to say thank you.

5 comments:

ali said...

so... Did Kawananakoa win? I was pulling for him. It's pretty sad that I know your politicians better than my own...

Juli said...

The sign wavers actually drive me nuts. I think they're a major driving hazard. And I don't like people staring at me as I drive by.

Amalie said...

do people not wave in other parts of our country? why not?

Erin said...

Awww, I miss the sign wavers. I even sign waved myself once. It was good fun.

Nancy said...

You got pictures!! Funny, we saw and waved to Mufi the other day!! What a good guy!!