Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Down Side of Up

So the other night Kevin and I were having the age old debate about what to have for dinner. Considering my aversion to chicken this is actually a hard thing to come up with. We FINALLY settled on homemade nachos and got out the stuff to start making it, but we had one big problem, the ground beef was still frozen. Kevin started defrosting the meat while I pulled out a frying pan to cook it in. I put the pan on the stove and turned it on. Kevin brought over the meat and chipped off the first bit of meat that had defrosted on the outside of the ball before throwing the rest in the microwave. I started to cook the meat he had thrown in only to notice a roach walking across the meat in the pan. Kevin reached in there and got it out and was shocked when I told him I REFUSE to eat that meat now. So, the meat had to be thrown out and we started all over again. The wonderful thing about living in Hawaii is that no matter what time of year or how clean your house is there is always a roach to be found! I more than happy to send some to anyone who feels roaches are just what their house is lacking...just let me know.

8 comments:

Angi said...

I understand why you refused to eat that meat. This is quite the experience. It reminds me of Mexico. Roaches are very scary to me for some reason though so please don't send them to my house. I don't miss them one bit!

Kevin said...

Oh. Melanie over-exaggerates a TON! We do not see roaches that often. Just little ones, once in a while.

And the roach does not look exactly like that. I don't remember the roach having the butt part like the one in the picture. So just so you know.

Angi said...

thanks for the clarification... I still wouldn't eat it! :)

Juli said...

Sigh. We're usually pretty roachless ourselves, but I've found SEVERAL around the house in the past WEEK. I think it's time for us to move.

kathy said...

HI
EVERYONE HAS ROACHES BUT USUALLY THEY ARE NICE ENOUGH TO ONLY COME OUT AT NIGHT AND WE DON'T SEE THEM. YOURS ARE PRETTY BRAVE.
YOU ARE JUST STARTING TO ACCUMULATE. JUST WAIT TILL YOU SEE HOW MUCH STUFF LITTLE BABIES REQUIRE
LOVE
GRANDMA KATHY

Pauline said...

We had roaches in OK and NM and hated them. We'd spray and they'd to visit the neighbor's house until they got tired of them and sprayed and then back they'd come again! Don't miss them at all! By the way I love your blog. Jason has one too. And Misti and Eric have a Dodge site with pics

Jaclyn said...

i forgot you had a blog... even the idea of roaches is disgusting - i couldn't focus in relief society yesterday because of the ants on the wall...let alone eat after seeing a roach...lovely images -

ali said...

that is so gross. I was afraid you were going to say you ate it anyway! Although I think I would have packed up and moved as well!